SMOKEY, THIS ISN’T NAM. THERE ARE RULES
Walter-The Big Lebowski
We are a community of folks trying to figure out where Forrest Fenn hid his treasure chest. Like any community we work to get along and respect one another. This does not mean that we all agree with everyone’s opinion but it does mean we try to be open minded. We offer support as well as our best critical opinion but we do not belittle others.
Things we do agree on:
- There is a Forrest Fenn
- He hid a treasure chest that is very valuable
- Whoever can figure out the nine clues and follow them to the chest first, can keep it
Our rules are simple and few and are intended to keep the blog civil, provide a source of reliable information and to encourage fun in the chase:
- Don’t spread rumors about Forrest or the chest. Others may think they are fact.
- Support your quotes. When quoting individuals, including Forrest…make certain your quote is accurate and try to cite the place where the quote came from…for instance, if the quote comes from a video interview, provide a link to the video and provide a time into the clip where the quote can be found. If it comes from a magazine interview give the magazine title, year, month of publication and page number. If it comes from a web source include a link to the page and help in locating the quote (i.e.: half way down the page…) In other words, provide a findable reference for the quote so others can evaluate for themselves what may have been intended by the speaker.
- Show respect. No name calling or swearing. Children are looking for the treasure and use this blog too.
- Be polite, supportive and helpful. This does not mean we can’t have differing opinions and a robust discussion with constructive criticism.
- Try to stay on topic. Look at the title of the page you are commenting on and try to stay relevant to that topic. If you want to discuss another topic please move to an appropriately titled page.
- Don’t confuse readers. There is a difference between fact and opinion. No one knows where the chest is located until they have it in their hands. So, until the chest is in your hands, you cannot say that you know where the chest is located or that you have solved the poem…Saying these things will lead casual readers to believe the hunt is over and someone has found the chest… which is not the case. You cannot claim you have found it or know where it is or have solved the poem unless the chest is in your possession…until then it’s only your opinion. Making unsubstantiated claims will result in banishment from our community.
- Don’t post anyone’s email except your own.
- Don’t post comments under more than one name. Changing your name on the blog causes confusion to other readers. Some folks change their name often and carry on conversations with their various “personalities”. If you are caught doing this you will be banished from this blog.
INAPPROPRIATE: I know where the chest is located.
APPROPRIATE: I think I know where the chest is located.
INAPPROPRIATE: I have solved the poem.
APPROPRIATE: I think I may have solved the poem.
INAPPROPRIATE: The chest is hidden in Colorado.
APPROPRIATE: In my opinion, the chest is hidden in Colorado.
Treat others as you would like to be treated.
Please abide by these simple rules and have fun while you are here.