Submitted by “42”
Why 32? The following discloses my opinions on finding WWWH and applying the “Golden” ratio 3:2 to solving portions of the poem. It’s my belief that Forrest is a genius and used a comprehensive yet simple, logical approach to his poem. I hope searchers can benefit from my research and information. This is a METHOD I developed which you can apply to any state you search.
F = the Golden Ratio 3:2
Cyrillic letter EF or “F” is known as the Golden Ratio 3:2 or 2:3 in math, science, art, music, architecture, aviation, nature’s design. 32 is also freezing point.
Phi, EF or “F” = The Golden Ratio is represented by symbols:
Φ φ/ϕ : Greek (see ttotc text for bb, pp, oo, dd which back to back form the symbol for golden ratio.)
Ѳ ѳ : Cyrillic
F f : Latin
b, d, p, x, y (other languages)
1. WWWH = 32
Most importantly Forrest stated emphatically, “Everything you need is in the poem.”
At the most basic level applicable to the poem, warm waters halt at the word halt. Numerically, L solves to 3 and T solves to 2. Therefore, halt ends with LT or 32. *Forrest tells us in the word halt that he is using 32 as wwwh. That’s why it doesn’t rhyme. (numerical values have been discussed at length; please see previous sb’s.)
2. 32 degrees F = freezing point. Every school kid will tell you warm waters halt when they freeze at 32 degrees F. Forrest said, “ask a kid.” See TTOTC ‘Frosty’ references.
Don’t overcomplicate it by looking at why 32 is not freezing point in all scenarios.
3. Section 32: Forrest was a surveyor, he thought of every way possible to confirm location=poem. On Forest Service and Surveyors maps, as well as County Cadastral mapping, each Township is subdivided into 36 sections. Look for sections numbered 32. If there is a suitable location where all warm waters halt, in a basin, with a canyon down in close proximity on Section 32 why wouldn’t you first consider it?
Application: warm water’s halt in basin land forms. My wwwh is a basin in a geographical location where all warm springs indigenous to SW Montana completely halt for miles surrounding. I found multiple Township Section 32’s in the area; chose the one near a canyon down and built my solve from there.
3. The poem’s 6 stanzas 4 lines may be physically folded or divided by 1/2 to achieve 3:2 mirrored symmetry and is written with 3 fifths of the information stacked on top of 2 fifths – roughly in a cross shape.
4. 32 point Compass Rose – hinted at in almost every chapter in TTOTC with Pie, circle, quarter circle, half references and numerically by 4, 8,16, 32. The Large Bold Cap’s which begin each chapter further confirm your location using NSEW, Tramontana, Ostro, Libeccio, etc from Mariner’s compass Rose. (Rose, sea are in the poem).
5. “Listen good” In music theory a perfect circle of fifths has a frequency ratio of 3:2 noted by Whole notes and Half notes shown as: WWWH.
– Recognizing a perfect 5th, one listens for the pitch and root note = “in the wood”
– Diatonic scales matching the perfect 3:2 ratio include “Dorian” and “Phrygian” which are also architectural styles.
Phrygian 3:2 dominant is know as the “Spanish Gypsy” scale.
SW Montana. Photos from my 11th time searching the mountains of Osborne Russell.
I’m a 54 year old stage-three cancer survivor; Montana native displaced in Texas. Any ‘over-thinking’ of solutions to Forrest’s poem has been a welcome diversion to heath issues. His dare was a catalyst propelling me back to the land of the living into the mountains of Montana where I was raised. I will never regret the exhilaration of giving my best to solving his puzzle or the rewards of traipsing through the wilderness.