SUBMITTED JULY 2017
by Seattle Sullivan
The main thing people need to focus on is the way Forrest thinks. Remember his mind stays at about 13. Back then life was all farts and giggles. So imagine the games Forrest and Skippy , must of played in the back seat on their way to Yellowstone . I envision them picking apart the wording on highway signs. ICY CONDITIONS MAY EXIST , ( I see why conditions may exist).
What I am getting at is a whole different way of looking at the clues. It’s all a play on words. I call it what I named my book “Well Knit Wit”. Where is this book you ask? It’s sitting in front of me. Once I publish it, ” in which after reading it, Forrest hopes I do” my secrets will be told. The other reason being after consulting with Forrest at this years Fennbouree, I am holding off on a chapter I call “B- ond, James Bond”. It has to do with the green olive jar and and certain secrets”. To me, and a few friends, the 20,000 word autobiography is the most valuable item in the chest. It is what drives me. Funny as I am homeless and live on a $734 SSI check in the most expensive area in the nation. Dal, (pronounced Dale), will attest to that one.
My Front Yard in Snohomish County
There are certain things we need to do in the solve. Forrest tells us how to play the game if you are wise. Butterfly – Flutter by for starters. And if he doesn’t see a word in the dictionary, he will make one up. Many of the answers combine Spanish and English. And spelling correctly is pointless, its all in the pronunciation.
My favorite clue is ” If you don’t know where to begin, you might as well stay home and play canasta”. Here is why he used the word CANASTA specifically. BE GIN. In New Mexico, there are tanks of water in certain areas used for fire fighting. Each one is named. Since Forrest is a PET TALKER, or in slang , a pet taca, I picked the array of tanks, “Tanqueray”…..as in gin, above Petaca. If you can, pin PETACA TANK A on google earth. Oh ya, canasta is an anagram of TANCS A.
Pet – Talka
Next, the answer that came to me in a dream. Here is where to BEGIN. By counting the letters in a verse of the poem . “Not Far”has 2 words before the comma. Go down the alphabet 2 letters…A-B. The last letter is the one we will use. So remember the B. Next , “But to far to walk” . Going 5 letters down the alphabet you get E . “Put in below the home of Brown”… 7 letters gives you the G. “From there it is no place for the meek”…gives you the ” I “. The next verse has no comma, so combine the 2 sentences. “The end is drawing ever nigh- there will be no paddle up your creek”, this will give you your N. Add it up boys and girls, it spells BEGIN.
Ah , but that’s not all folks. We have one sentence left. “Just heavy loads and water high”. Now being from Texas, that southern drawl comes into play. Yesterday when I was using my backpack, I ADJUST the heavy loads. So , ADD “Just heavy loads and water high” to the next verse”. Count up the words. It totals 36. This is your degree. The next verse “including the question mark” makes 32. These is your minutes. Next verse 29. Your seconds. 36 – 32 – 29 latitude. By counting letters starting at “From there it’s ……and ending at “and waters high”, you get 106 letters. Thats your longitude. But its easier if you just look at Forrest’s last name. Fenn. ” Santa FE N.N.” , or directly North of Santa Fe. Get back on google earth and pin those co-ordinates. Amazingly they are 1 mile from the Tanqueray location. This is where you BEGIN.
As the inside cover says a little resolve is needed, I’ll start resolving now at where most everyone else starts:
1) Begin it where warm waters halt. I believe it is the array of tanks above Petaca. Take the story Forrest uses about the array of burned out tanks and war relics in Northern Africa. This I believe gives credence to my Tanqueray theory.
1a) And ta-Kit (Carson) in the canyon do w. n. (due w. x n.)
2) Not far, but too far to walk. My spot is around 4-5 miles as the crow flies, to the h.o.B.
3) Put in below the home of Brown. This is what I believe is Forrest’s bluff. But you still put in below it. Simply a brown house on a bluff, and /or the Brown in the local graveyard.
4) From there it is no place for the Meek. The area is sketchy and the locals are watching you . The dogs chase your car and bite at your tires. The pavement ends , and the mud begins.
5) The End is Drawing Ever Nigh. See the dead end ? Nigh I hear means left. Try that
6) There will be no Paddle (ORE) up Your Creek. As the post marked culvert shows, go no farther up the creek. There is no gold further up.
7) AD Just Heavy Loads and watter high. This is where you park and walk, the power lines end,
8) If You’ve (U.V.) been Y’s and Found the B la ze, ……. I once used a Ultra Violet light looking for the Blaze. I believed back then the treasure was in the mine tailings, hence “The end of my Rainbow”, meaning Rainbow Trout Tail”ings”. I climbed in and under the huge pilings, and used my Woods light. The U.V. light was invented by Robert Woods, so you literally could be in a “Wood Beam”. I Shivered me timbers, “worth the cold”, and the light made the Pine Tar, “Tary Scan t” glow like a hundred eyes staring at me in the “pitch” black darkness. Upset like a newbie searcher, I e-mailed Forrest saying “it’s all eyes…it’s all lies”. Until the next day when I sat next to the tailings and noticed two things. A chute out, “Shoot Out” as on page 36, that Y’d into 2 chutes, as in Forrest’s “Pair a’ chutes, where he was shot down twice.
I gave up on the tailings. But it still might be the spot. Steel Plates litter the area, which could relate to the Babe Ruth clue. The metal was “brazed” when it was cut, and remember Forrest is a “Brazier”, a person who works with brass.
9) Bar B Que. Again, I believe food is the final clue. And the poem revolves around food, drink and entertainment.
I am confident on my solution.Forrest once said “people don’t cry anymore”, or something along those lines. Look at the stories in T.T.O.T.C. We have Pie , Pilots, Pioneers , Pirates. Do the Y thing. Wipe Eye, Wipe Eye Lots , Wipe Eye on Ear , Wipe Eye Rate.
What goes with gin? Tonics. White Onyx?
And finally for those searching Lake Hebgen. Here is one for you. Bessies tail was a FLY SWATTER. On page 121 of T.T.O.T.C., we have FLY WATER , and the story about Skippy’s electric fly zapper, he is refered to as the “General”. Meaning 1) General Electric , or 2) that would mean HE BE GEN. So there you have it. Butterfly or Flutter by , Forrest is telling us to use a play on words. C how that works?
Back to word play. When Forrest said not to mess with my poem , he meant don’t eat with it , as in mess hall. But here is another story he tells us to use word play. The ball of string. Mostly whyte string . With mother looking for the postman.. Another word for string is twine , and being inside, it was inner twine. And another word for postman is letter carrier. Inner twine and letter carry.
Another thing Forrest uses are cliches’. Starting with you can’t judge a book by its cover. Hmmm. Here is where it gets crazy. Look at the word “CHASE”. Now, look at it like this….See H as E. By looking at that H as a E , it turns into CEASE . You can do this in reverse too. Next is the letter C ,which can be pronounced as a S , as in Seattle, or “C”attle.
Forrest said we need to be in tight focus on a word that is key, but he never said it in the poem . I believe that word is “WHISKEY”. And the word that is IT , is WHY, or simply a Y. Hence, Y is it, WH is key…..why is it whiskey. The answer of course is distilling, where steam condenses , just like the rain. But the Y is it . “If you’ve been Y’s” and “So Y is it”. Here is what you do. Put Y in front of a word to create a different word . Taos is my word of choice. YTaos becomes white house, or in Spanish, “Casa Blanca”. The Y Rosetta Stone becomes “wire rows set a stone”. Y Puppy becomes….well you got the idea.
The county I search is Rio Arriba” meaning river above. One more play on words is the Spanish word Que , pronounced “Kay”. This is huge once you find the blaze. The reason being is the final clue is all about food . To be more precise, Bar b que. Remember the todo over BoB wire and BarB wire ? BB wire .Its the grates he is talking about. BB Grates. The miss spelling of the Baby Ruth candy bar for instance is a reference to grates and grills. And you can’t think Texas without thinking bar b que. Remember, Forrest said it is in the poem for all to see…..”B”een wise and found the “B” laze look “Q”uickly down. Or would that be Quigly Down? “Put another shrimp on the bobby”. Shakespeare is mentioned by Forrest….2 B (BB) or not 2B , that is the QUEstion. Remember Texas A&M was a all male school(Men U). But here is the kicker. It all has to do with the Last Supper Table , or as Forrest calls it, “The Great Banquet Table of History”.
Now I already feel I’ve given away the farm. But not totally. I feel I have narrowed it down to a 1/2 acre. And I only showed you where to BEGIN. There is alot of looking between there and Ojo , or where ever.
But here is why I believe this small, fenced in enclosure is the Holy Grail. The whole enclosure is the blaze. Simply put , BE LAZ E. …or, since Y is it, BE LAZ Y. The area is Forrest Fenns Forest Fence For Rest. Along with everything required.
1) Two Chase Lounge Chairs
Two Chase Lounge Chairs
2) A Dart Board
Dart Board, Posts and One of the Fire Pits
3) Two Fire pits w/ Fire Rings (Stones)
Just the way I Found it
4) Post(s) Marked for tanning hides
5) BBQ Grates and Grills
6) The Last Supper Table
The Last Supper Table
Now ask yourselves as I have, WHY. Why are these items out in the middle of no where? There is not a single NO TRESPASSING sign anywhere. Could it relate to “title to the gold”? Could the meaning behind “Tea with Olga” have to do with the “proper tea” or the “property”? The story combines both, along with putting TE with OLGA and getting OL GATE . Yes my spot has an old gate, with tires….it’s a tired ole gate.
But let me go into detail:
1) The lounge chairs. This is where you do that “see H as E ” thing again, turning that E back to an A. ” Look Quickly Down Your Quest 2 CEASE. Change Cease back to Chase. “YOUR QUEST, 2 CHASE”….the chase lounge chairs.
2) The dart board is key. Remember Forrest saying you have to join the Indiana Jones Club? Diana in Spanish is Dartboard or Bulls Eye, ….a BBQ sauce.
3) The fire pits have always been a top choice of mine for a long time. Mainly from the original draft of the poem. Only I knew the “bones” were fish, ribs and maybe chicken, but I’m not sure as the poem reads….” If you are not chicken and in the wood”…..come on people. Forrest is from Texas. Beef is whats on the menu, and maybe whats at the end of his Rainbow….trout. And a lot of stories on “firings”, Frosty etc….
4) All though out the book are Post Marks. Male Scent Marked Post. What I believe the posts with marks on them are used for, is for tanning hides. And it ties right in with getting a spanking by father, and sliding down the fire escape. Both tanned his hide.
5) The Grate Seal of New Mexico , Babe Ruth, a BB Grate, YRose set a stone, “Brave and in the Wood”…(getting grilled in the wooden witness box”), plus a ton more. The food thing goes on forever. So why is it that i must go And Leave my Trove F or All To Seek. Notice the capital letters spell , “SALT FATS”, “but tary scant with marvel gaze” …(Buttery Skin w/ Marvelous Glaze). And see how easy it is to get TARIAKI out of “The AnsweR I Already Know I”ve………”. Not to mention “SO Y is it”. So I would say there is something up with sauces, and therefor, the person saucing would be a saucer ? Hold that thought.
Finally, #6. The Supper Table. Forrest said he would meet at the Great Banquet Table upon his death. He also said he would die “dye” and leave his bones “fish” at a certain spot, which sounds like the 1st draft version. Which is why “Below the Stones” is a prime location for hiding his trove. But the table. A 12′ x 4′ White Table, an exact replica of the one Christ used. Sitting out there in the sun.
And Finally, back to saucers. I’ve asked myself, Why is this spot so special to Forrest?
I asked him at the Fennbouree if he believed in flying saucers. He said he did , but he may have confused what I meant, with the ones Peggy had thrown at him over the years. But could it be? Remember he flew over Washington D.C. in 1954. The sighting over the White House was 1952. The Taos chamber of commerce puts out a magazine called DISCOVER TAOS……Hmmm DiscOver YTaos. Wow.
I never would have believed
And so after 9 trips from Seattle in my 1986 BMW, “Bills Mechanical Wonder”, I still don’t have the chest.
Bill’s Mechanical Wonder
And I encourage you to use these ideas where ever your searching. Get a THESAURUS, try anagrams, HE’S AU RUST….(AU = Gold), “he’s gold rust”, meaning the golden cow around the time of Charlton Heston,…er…Moses. My BE-GINers Spanish-English dictionary is my most used book. You will discover so many new pathways it will blow you away. Like how Frosty was a big hunk of a dirty name and the smell assaulted my sensitivities. The Spanish word for sense of smell is Olfato. Change the way you see words. ORIONS BELT. Or rye on Be L T……Tai Chi, Chai Tea.
Forrest chooses his words meticulously. He knows I play with the Y. So after he razzed Cynthia for not inviting him on a hunt, I invited him to join me. His e-mail back read “Not Me Bill”…of course I saw right away, that placing that Y between Not Me, he was saying “No Tyme”.
The whole enchilada has to do with wit. K? Que: which -who what – which than – that . This according to my Spanglish dictionary. …Which Which ? Witch Which…. See H as E. whiE and wite. Why and White. I just can’t tell you any more. But that’s the way I have learned to play a game with no rules. Good Luck in the Ch as E.